It’s a thought experiment that I would want to share with you all –
- Divide the blog’s content into content which I want to share on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc
- Tag the posts accordingly
- Create separate feeds for each tag
- Sync the right feeds with the right media
That way, intended audiences could be targeted and on different spaces. All through a single blog :-)
Last year, I was vacillating between WP and Blogger as my blogging platform. You can see some of that here. With WP 2.7 coming out, I was tempted to try WordPress, finally this year I made the shift completely. As promised, here are my experiences with WP on my own hosting solution + domain.
You can also try this out on your <name>.wordpress.com blogs as well, but the real awesomeness comes out only with your own domain and hosting combination. Try it … it costs around Rs. 3000 odd, but definitely worth it!!
How to do it
Transferring from one platform to another was pretty simply. WP comes in with a very nifty import facility, wherein I could import all my Blogger posts with their comments (whew!). Then it was just a matter of changing the domain settings (this took more than a day to figure out!!).
The pros are the obvious ones –
- Completely customizable look and feel of the blog
- Readymade and re-usable themes and cool widgets that simply fit into your blog
- All plug-ins, widgets, themes and the platform itself auto-updates!! I don’t have to do any tinkering around :-)
- Huge, and I mean one mother of a huge community to contribute to this WP ecosystem
I could go on, but lets leave these for now. I like the platform but it does have its peeves.
- Categories and Tags … Tags and Categories … yeah, now I have to decide on one and do both … even if just one morphology works for me :-( … anyone have a hack for this?
- Now I have noticed that I keep on playing around with the platform more instead of writing more!!
Any help from you guys would be appreciated :)
I have decided to put some spare time into writing a small CAT blog. For aspirants and other people to share their experiences. Hopefully friends and classmates will contribute to it, so that by the end of this year – it will be ready for the new batch. To read, learn and gain inspiration from.
Here’s the link, check it out.
I have decided to use my fledgling blogging talents (ahem!?! or so to speak :) ) for making some money. There are quite a few blogs out there which pay good money for guest bloggers to write posts for them. Rs. 500 to Rs. 1000 per post. It doesn’t pay as much as our normal job does, but imagine – you can earn this money without any qualification as such!!
Another style of earning money would be google ads. So please do not be pissed if you see those on my blog in some days. Heres to turning a cost center into a revenue center :-)
Got tagged by Sudhir, so here goes. Umm, sorry for responding kinda late :-)
Instructions read: Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions
Pick a band/artist: The Beatles
- Are you a male or female: This Boy
- Describe yourself: I’m the Walrus
- How do you feel about yourself: Free as a bird
- Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Glad All Over :)
- Describe your current boy/girl situation: Hallelujah, I love her so
- Describe your current location: Nowhere Man
- Describe where you want to be: Strawberry Fields forever
- Your favorite color is: For you Blue
- You know that: All things must pass / We can work it out
- What’s the weather like: Rain
- If your life was a television show what would it be called: With a Little Help from my friends
- What is life to you: That means a lot
- What is the best advice you have to give: Act Naturally
- If you could change your name what would you change it to: Doctor Robert
I tag – Amit, Baba, Ankit, Ashish, Abhishek
Ok. So I haven’t been active lately here. Mea culpa. There were some personal crises that had cropped up, the details of which I will divulge over the next row of posts. Of course I can always give the standard alibi that is floating around – Recession hain bhaiyya!
Enough of that though, not one more word (well some might crop up here and there). Here is what you can expect to follow on the blog –
- Marriage (as seen by my significant other) – the editing will of course be done by moi :-)
- The jhols and some bitching against a few corporates
- Other gyaan that I may feel free to impart from time to time