In a discussion with a friend (and an ex-colleague), we were joking about work life in general (euphemism for mutual bitching). It seems that a lot of us are destined to work on Microsoft Office Powerpoint and Microsoft Office Excel almost all the time; be it a job in the sales team, the financial analyst team, the business analyst team … Microsoft Office never leaves us.
A shared fantasy was, what would happen to the world if Microsoft Office suddenly ceased to exist … the following are some pearls from that discussion … of course I have added some of my own, and welcome all of you to keep on adding to this list through the comments –
- MBAs would not have anything to do apart from sitting in meetings
- Corporations would realize how overly paid we all are
- The consulting industry would come to a virtual stand still
- People will actually work instead of creating documents
- Colleagues and teams will start talking to each other instead of exchanging documents and Track Change (Ctrl+Shift+E) reviews and Comments (Alt+R+C)
- Wikis and other collaborative groupware would be put to use … heck even Google Buzz might be exhumed
- B-schools will be forced to change their pedagogy or they will be virtually assignment-free … wheeee!!
… to be continued