We always keep talking about customizing one’s resume to match the job we are targeting. In order to understand this better, I posted a question on the HR forums on LinkedIn.
Findings as follows –
- If you are a Fresher
- Focus on projects and seminars, do your homework on these parts
- Do not forget your academics, and also the institute you are graduating from
- Extracurricular activities make a difference between a bland resume and a resume with a personality matching yours
- If you are an Experienced Professional
- Relevant experience
- Team management skills
- Job stability
- If you are aiming for a Senior Management position
- Leadership abilities and team building skills
- Richness of experience and high bandwidth of skills
- Crisis management
What do you think? Feel free to add to the LinkedIn discussion or through comments below!
8 thoughts on “Resume tips: Putting the right foot forward”
sigh.. and what if one wants to shift careers , but have no experience on the ‘desperately wanted’ career?
@Durga – Showcase experience which might be similar to that target career. Showcase capabilities which might come in handy in that career.
Thanks Prasad for putting up this post!!! insightful and ofcourse much needed advice is here..
Without your permission I have shared a link to this post on my blog- hope it will be cool!
@Pallavi – thanks!
I don’t have that scope. I am from telecom( both bachelors and masters) and I want to get into Core Network engineering , but as of now I am just a support person for one of the mediation systems( one of the decisions taken while I was a fresher some 3 years ago), so as of now I have zero expertize at networks, hopefully when I graduate I might be able to go where I want to..
Thanks for your tips prasad. Nice post.