On 2nd Feb 2012, I received a mail from FUSE Labs. It was about Microsoft Research team’s new experiment. Happy to get a beta invite, I jumped on-board – it was 7am early in the morning when I had decided to check my mail. I got so absorbed checking out the site that I hardly noticed an hour fly by!
Up front So.cl is less confusing than Google+, here’s what it seems to do –
- You can get in touch with random people and can follow-unfollow them (ala Twitter, G+)
- Rich media looks really good on the site
- A new feature which I found really cool was Video Parties (crowd-sourced video playlists which keep playing in one section of the site)
Here’s the catch!
To add posts on this social network, you have to search for terms … on Bing. Yes. on Bing.
They have really taken search social. Something that Google+ is doing slowly and carefully, Microsoft has twisted the entire approach and done a bold step under the name of an experiment.
It’s definitely worth a shot, do give it a whirl here.
You will require a Facebook ID to register and login, which kind of acknowledges FB as the king of all social networks.
3 thoughts on “New social network on the block So.cl”
If what you say is right, I wonder why Google is being too cautious / slow in this area? Why it isn’t seeing what a Fb/Microsoft can?
1. Google has a very stable and heavily used product. Changes in such products have to be done very slowly
2. Google does not have a good history with social products e.g orkut, wave … even plus for that matter.
Facebook on the other hand is now the King of Soc Media!