Note: The post was ill-timed, when I wrote it I was completely unaware of the Japan crisis. I realized my folly when a friend informed me of the same. My apologies, this was not meant to be a stunt to get more attention. The post was neither tweeted nor posted on Facebook.
I love the Japanese civilization in Rise of Nations. It is by far one of the strongest infantry civilizations in the game. There are of course the Mayans and the Aztecs who can give the Japanese a run for their money, but with Japanese barracks churning out units faster than any other barracks and with each unity being stronger than the normal unit, you can’t go wrong.
The civilization benefits are also geared in such a manner that it ensures that as ages advances, the Japanese will keep on becoming a stronger force to reckon with. The civilization benefits are as follows –
- Farms 50% cheaper, Farms and Fishermen produce +25% resources
- Build aircraft carriers 33% faster and ships are 10% cheaper
- Barrack Units do 5% extra damage vs buildings for each Age plus Military research
- Barrack Units built 10% faster, 7% cheaper,for each Age plus Military research
What this means is that the Japanese player can kick off a good boom at the start itself. Cheaper farms and +25% more food means more villagers to collect wood with. More resources at the start translates into ideal boom conditions.
Typically what I do is –
- Start with 5 farms at the start of the game (you have enough wood to do this)
- Then science 1 and civ 1
- Then a town to expand your territory
- Then commerce 1 and build an additional farm
- Then a woodmill and more farms
- Then a trade center and a temple
- Then science 2 and mil 1
- Tower for your frontier town and a barracks between your towns
- Complete the farms and get the rare resources
- Age. As you are aging start building heavy infantry
- Get the senate built and a despot (cheaper infantry and war resources)
- Get 5 HI, 1 archer, patriot and go mil 2
- Start towards your enemy town and start raiding (rare resources, merchants) but avoid frontal assault (you benefit later in the game)
- Get a siege workshop and have some siege engines built (2-3)
- Now go for the first town
Its downhill from then on. The key is to know that you are going to be stronger and stronger with your infantry (atleast till age VII, then you have stronger units). Take towns, and hold your lines. During those times build more units (infantry, light cavalry to take down archers and siege + supply wagons if needed). Use villagers to repair towns and build your barracks closer to the front lines.
Rare resources that you need to go after – Cotton and Whales
The Cotton will reduce unit production times by 25%, and Whales will give you the resources required to generate more Heavy Infantry.
2 thoughts on “Rise of Nations: Japan infantry”
Ahh !!! Japanese one of the feared rushing nations.
Go units after mil2 and despot when they are the cheapest starting from 30F 20M(approx).
BTW Japan has most of the best RON players eg. RTS_NAOTO, the player having one of the best micro-management in the world.
How is this a tribute to Japan? Japanese civilization in Rise of the Nation, yes, but not Japan. :p